Monday, September 13, 2010

We have utensils now people

A big part of the Oaxaca/Mexico experience is going to the "black market". It is called "Abastos". There are rip off watches, DVDs, clothing, shoes, and pretty much anything else you could need or want, even fresh meat. The crazy part is that you can be just walking along when all of a sudden it hits you. Imagine the grossest smell. This smell is worse. It is the meat/seafood section. It is even worse than any market I have been to. Most like

ly because typically th

ere are 5-6 stands that have the fresh meat sitting out. Here it's closer to 20-30. It is not on ice so it is all room temperature.

In addition it started pouring rain halfway through our trip. Since the roof is simply tarps strung together we had to dodge people and the water pouring in.

We were specifically looking for eating utensils. We really needed our own. :) One of the first places we came to had them so we bought 8 forks, 8 spoons, 8 knives, 1 serving spoon and a can opener. That was thanks to G. I was standing there wondering if we needed anything else for our house. "Can opener?" he suggested. Oh!!! That would have been a sad day for us when we run out of dried beans and try to open our cans of beans. He is a smart one.


I was also looking for a watch. I dislike shopping when I have an idea in my head of what I want. Usually it never materializes. Because I am a musician I stopped wearing a watch when I was about 15 or 16. I would have to take it off during lessons and practice anyways and since I kept misplacing it I thought, why even have one? An

d there was the fated time when I borrow D's watch and somehow it completely disappeared from the house. I didn't lose it. It was temporarily misplaced. It continued to be misplaced for about 1 year. It became placed when I moved furniture. See D? I knew it was here somewhere. :)

Plus, the invention of cell phones makes it so, I just use that to keep time. Not having a watch and sometimes the phone being inaccessible has also made me pretty good at "guesstimating" the time of day. I am pretty good at knowing what time it is, how much time has passed, etc. It's an added perk to not having a watch.


However, I have found that being a teacher in a room with no clock can cause problems. The first week the teachers would come and get the elementary kids when their class was over. I suppose this week they were enjoying the break a little too much. I have a 10 min transition time to get from the P.E. room on one side of the campus to the English room on the other side. And gather the books I need for that class. Let's just say, all of the students mentioned that I was late. I dislike being late very much.

The watch I am looking for doesn't exist however, I refuse to buy what I am not looking for. So here I am, starting a new week still watchless. We shall see how it goes.


R bought that picture at the market on Saturday. We have yet to figure out how she will take it home :)

Today is my day off, with worldview class starting at 4pm. Here is my work station. :)

2 comments:

  1. You're doing so well blogging :-) Keep posting and putting up pics. Love reading about your trip and LOVE you!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a sports watch. They have multiple uses and you don't have to worry about fashion. Or just get one of those little alarm clocks and carry it with you instead of a watch. I am SO SMAAART!! I love you too. More than Amanda. =P

    ReplyDelete