Monday, January 25, 2010

In Love . . . .

I am really falling in love with Mexican culture. So loving and giving. Today marked the beginning of a "normal" week here for me in Mitla. The first week I was here Lila left for San Antonio the day school started, so I had the chance to try my hand at getting things going right off the bat. I am kind of a "hit the ground running" person anyways so I was totally cool with it. However, there is something to be said for semi-knowing how things are supposed to work. The next week was a little hectic in that things were getting started for reals and all. The next week I had all the kids to myself as Lila and Ellie headed off the Nicaragua for the week. That was fun. We went on a field trip, had a girls night, and even managed to get some school done in the process. I felt my Spanish learning slipping a bit as Josephina was not at the bookstore all week, so I didn't get much practice in. I was a little worried about that.

So, we are at this week. Two mom's here offered to take me out to lunch in Oaxaca then connect me up with a ride back to Mitla while they did their weekly grocery shopping. They are great ladies and it was so fun to listen to them tell stories and them get to know me a little bit more. I feel like the missionary community here has really folded me in and I have lots of people looking out for me. Really feels a lot like HBC.

Today I finished school and headed into town for my Spanish placticar, different from practicar. To practicar is to practice. To placticar is to chat. I told Josephina about my weekend pasado, as I am learning/working on past tense verbs right now with Benjamin. I feel like I am getting a handle on past tense. :) She also quizzes me on words and gets a hoot out of watching me wrack my brain for the right word. I have my dictionary handy and sometimes she can't explain to me what she means, so out it comes and I look up the word. I am finding that I need to say the word over and over and use it a lot before it sticks in my brain. I think I finally got one to stick, probarlo. Josephina told me that I speak very well but my "r"s need some work. Yes, getting my tongue around that r sound is the bane of my existence.

Josephina taught me to make Oaxacan hot chocolate today. I am excited to get the ingredients and make it for my family. It's pretty much the best stuff in the whole world. :) She also told me she would give me a tamale making lesson. That will be fun. I think it was quite a shock that I didn't know how to make them. How do American's live without knowing how to make tamales? I want to know that too.

Here is a little update and some pictures, I haven't taken very many :S Pray I don't get Hep A. Thanks.


The ruins we went to on our field trip.


Little Lydia.


This bass I found in Oaxaca city.

1 comment: