I have been on overload since last week. Until last week I was mentally prepared to spend the Christmas holiday here in Mitla. My roomie is going home to Cali for the holidays. Several families offered to have to me stay a few days with them so I wouldn't be all alone in my huge house. There are TONS of Christmasy things to do and I was looking forward to not having the ever present school limit fun activities. It was a tough decision to stay here but I was prepared and looking forward to it in a way. The fact the Mexicana airlines went out of business and made ticket prices skyrocket to the $1000 range helped that decision process as well.
God had other plans. He always does.For the past 2 years we have been talking about heart transplant options for Joe, my little brother (though not so little as he is now 17 and taller than me). This summer the option of doing the Fontan surgery was approached and as of last Tuesday he is scheduled for open heart surgery on December 15th. When I found out I knew I should at least explore the option of flying home if at all possible. I wouldn't be able to be there before the 15th. The Christmas program that I am in charge of is on the night of the 16th. I found a ticket for $800 round-trip. Leave on the 17th get back on the 5th. The next step. Call and ask dad what he thinks. He was at work and usually is with patients and can't get to the phone right away. He wasn't. His advice was buy the ticket and come home. So I did. I will now be home for Christmas and Joe's surgery. We are praying that recovery will go smoothly and we'll be able to spend Christmas at home all together. Praise the Lord too that I got my FM3 in time so I can now legally be here in the country and leave legally too. :)
Please be praying for Joe. It is quite a big ordeal to have heart surgery. He has had 6 or 7 already, but those were 10+ years ago. Pray that the surgery goes well, that God would guide the doctors hands, and that he will have a swift healing process. If everything goes well the oxygen saturation in his blood will go up dramatically and he will not only have more energy but also not be as blue or get tired doing physical things as easily.
Last weekend R and I stayed with the amazing S family. We attended the Christmas parties in the city and got to get some Christmas shopping done downtown. It was a great weekend. As we drove into Mitla I got the chills. I am so amazed that God has allowed me to live here and be here for this year. It truly is awesome to be doing exactly what God wants you to be doing and see how He supplies for everything I need. Yes it gets stressful and tiring at times but there are also times of rejuvenation and energy. It's an exciting life. I love it.
Though it will be GREAT to go home for a bit, I can't wait for the next 6 months and can't believe I have already been here for 4 months. Crazy.
I forwarded the prayer request for your brother, Joe, and for your trip to the states. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family.
ReplyDeletePhotography isn't like writing. I waited to start writing until the kids were older, too busy simply living life. The stories remained in my head to be recalled at leisure. Photos can't wait to be taken at a later date. Too bad. Maybe you could become a writer and just describe things the way you remember them.
Jamie, I'm so happy for you that you get to spend Christmas with your family! I am praying for Joe and you all. ♥ Love to your family!
ReplyDelete