It rained last night for the first time in 3 weeks. After the deluge we had soon after I got here the break from the rain was nice and the return of the rain was even nicer. There is something so comforting and homey about falling asleep
to the steady sound of rain outside. When I woke up this morning the desert looked a bit greener and the roads once again were slippery, slimey mud. They had just filled in all the pot holes in the road too! Murphy's law I guess.
The roads here in Mitla are about 80% dirt. So that means that 20% are actually paved. Those paved roads are on the other side of the main road through town. So over here, we have dirt. With the huge amount of rain through the summer and up until a few weeks ago the roads were co
mpletely torn up from the water. I have never seen anything like it. massive holes and grand canyon sized craters through roads. It helps to wake everyone up after the relaxing drive home from school.
Yes. I drive and everyone sleeps. It's quite funny to watch. There are the ones that aren't shy about it. They just konk out as soon as we start moving. Others fight it. And those are the ones that keep me awake on the drive back. They sit there with their neighbor's head bobbing and decide to look out the window. As soon as their eyes aren't able to focus on the scenery flying by the switch to other methods of staying awake. Some try to do homework. Others talk to themselves. It never fails though. The blink starts happening. With each blink getting slightly longer than the one before. Soon there eyes close and their head goes back. Then it's my favorite part: the snap. Their subconscious somehow tells them they are sleeping and their will not to sleep kicks in. The head snaps forward and the eyes blink as they look around the car. I quickly stop looking in the mirror for a split second while they check that. Thinking that they were the only ones they settle back into the deadly cycle. Blinking, head drop and snap with the head drop time getting longer and longer. It never fails though. Once we arrive in Mitla the jostling of the roads here wake everyone up and the groans start. By the time they get out the car they are ta
lking about playing soccer and coming over to the "Pachanga house" tonight.
Last week I flew up to Monterrey to see the DeHoyos family and my family. When all of my siblings and parents walked in I could here the question, "where's Jamie?" I soon got a dog pile of hugs and love.
It was good to see them. My mom brought me an amazing blanket that has helped me sleep so well the past week and also candy. That is one thing you don't get much of here. Which is a good thing. The sad part is, when you haven't eaten much sugar in 2 months if you binge it hurts and hurts bad. R and I broke out the sour patch watermelon bag one night late and we both regretted it. She finally fell asleep soon after midnight and I was up until 2am. So that is what sugar really does to your body. Oh great. So, the new rule is no sugar after 9pm. I feel old.
Tonight is the youth group fun night. The last Friday of the month we are going to do a fun night instead of the usually Wednesday night mee
ting.My poor roommate is sick today. :( So I think this will be the weekend for watching all those chick flicks my family brought down to me. Jane Austen here we come.
I just wanted you to know that I come on here and stalk waiting for your next post. =D
ReplyDeleteI had to catch up on quite a bit from the last month or so! You've been up to a lot.
Looking forward to the next post.
♥ Joanna